So, what is Google+? It seems pretty surprising that Google is just now coming out with a social media component to add to all it’s other diverse features. But now that Google has, will it effect Facebook in the near future? Google+ saw 67 million visits in November 2011 (after just launching in July 2011) and is expected to grow significantly by the end of 2012. This new social network has unique features such as Circles, Hangouts, and others that Facebook does not currently compete against.
Learn more about the growing statistics of Google+ in 2011: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/05/google-plus-visitors-november
Want to know more details about Google+ features? Click on the video demonstrations: https://www.google.com/intl/en-US/+/learnmore/index.html#circles
With Circles, you can have a separate group for your weekend party friends, co-workers, classmates, and organizations. Unlike Facebook, you get to categorize the people you know into specific Circles, based on your personal preferences, through a drag-and-drop interface. This makes sharing, finding, and communicating with these people much more easy, organized, and fun.
- It’s a one-time share, so if the creator of the circle updates the members, people’s shared copies won’t be updated.
- The Different “Circle” options are Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and Following. The Following “circle” is a great way to keep up with your favorite celebrities
“Hangouts”: (video chat)
Hangouts are like video chat rooms, or conference video chats, with a maximum of 10 people participating in a single Hangout at any point in time. This is a great thing to use to virtually “hangout” with your buddies anywhere at anytime because you even can stay at home in your pajamas while chatting with some friends. There are also other types of Hangouts, such as “Mobile Hangouts,” “Hangouts On-Air,” and “Hangouts with Extras.”
- “Mobile Hangouts” currently supports Android 2.3+ devices with front-facing cameras.
- “Hangouts On-Air” gives users the ability to create instant webcasts over Google+. The broadcasts can also be recorded for later retrieval.
- “Hangouts with Extras,” currently in a preview state, will allow users to share documents, share a scratchpad and share their screens with other users.
This Google+ feature is available to Android, iPhone, and SMS devices for communicating through instant messaging within Circles. Think of it as a large Instant Messenger room that you can see everyone in the Circle’s comments instantaneously.
Additionally, you can share photos in Messenger between your Circles.
It also helps to keep users informed of the latest updates on the topics of their interest.
For new albums, anyone an album is shared with can see who else it is shared with.
Albums someone shared can be tagged and re-shared by others.