How Much Does it Cost to Design a Website?
The cost of developing a website varies on numerous factors, including the following:
- Website project type (marketing, eCommerce, catalog, etc.)
- Technology used for website development
- Number and complexity of design features
- Ongoing support and maintenance (updates to your website)
Website Project Type
The purpose of your website can help give you a better idea on “how much does it cost to design a website?”
Business Website (Marketing)
A corporate website generally consists of a few web pages and are mostly used to represent small businesses for marketing purposes to gain the interest of potential clients.
Brochure website typically display the following:
- Home page (landing)
- Services/Products page(s)
- About page
- Contact information page
The cost range for a custom business website can vary depending on the amount of pages and technology necessary for it. Most basic business websites can range from $2,500 to $8,000.
eCommerce Website (Online Store)
eCommerce websites are common for selling products and receiving payments. This could be a small business website run by a retailer, or a marketplace where multiple merchants sell their products online (caShopping, eBay, Amazon, etc.)
The eCommerce platform you choose will be one of the biggest factors in determining the cost of the website design.
Catalog Website (Directory)
Also called directories, catalog websites are great for a particular service or good (i.e. real estate properties, sales, jobs, hotels, car rentals, vendors, etc.)
The cost of a catalog website will depend on the following:
Technology Used for Website Development
The technology used to design your website is another factor influencing the price.
Custom website development consists of both frontend and backend.
Frontend development includes all of the elements the users interact with, as well as the UX/UI design. It uses technologies such as the following:
- Markup languages: HTML5, CSS3
Backend development is the server side that works with information, as well as the place where all of the main website features operate. This uses technologies such as the following:
- Programming languages: Ruby, Elixir, Python, PHP, Java, etc.
- Web frameworks: Ruby On Rails, Phoenix
- Database severs: PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Web servers: nginx, Apache
API (Application Programming Interface) is another common technology used in website design. API is a set of commands to connect the frontend and backend, as well as integration of necessary third-party services. Some API technology includes the following:
- Payment gateways: Braintree, Stripe, PayFlow, etc.
- Social media integration: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Delivery services: FedEx, UPS, etc.
- Analytics tools: caAnalytics, Google Analytics, etc.
- Google Maps
Number and Complexity of Design Features
Custom website design implies the creation of a website from the ground up. The following are just a few complex design features that can affect the cost of your website:
- Illustrations, animations and branding
- Website responsiveness (mobile-friendly)
- Custom features such as directories, integrations or elements
- Forms (i.e. contact forms, quote forms, registration forms, etc.)
Ongoing Support and Maintenance (Updates to Your Website)
Custom website maintenance is also an essential factor that can influence the cost of a website. Website maintenance and support can include the following:
- bug fixes
- code optimization
- backend scalability
- performance tuning
These are just a few influencing factors that can help answer the question, “How much does it cost to design a website?” So, to answer this question, it really all depends on what you want your website to include. Contact us at Centennial Arts to get a website design quote or start on your next website project with us today!